LEGO WeDo 2.0LEGO®
Every WeDo 2.0 Core Set is delivered in a sturdy, plastic storage bin that comes with a sorting tray and contains:
- 280 LEGO system building elements
- WeDo 2.0 Smarthub – The Smarthub is an electronic system based building brick that is part of the LEGO Power Functions (LPF) 2.0, a new technology platform for LEGO Education. It has built-in Bluetooth low energy to wireless connect to the control software/App. It is powered from a battery source, 2 AA batteries or a rechargeable battery pack. It has two I/O ports to connect to external motors, sensors or any new component belonging to the LPF 2.0 system. It has a built-in RGB light surface that can show up to 10 different colors that be controlled by the software/App
- Medium Motor – The Medium Motor can be programmed to clockwise and counter-clockwise and to move at different power levels. Axles or other LEGO® system bricks and other LEGO elements can be attached to the motor.
- Motion sensor – The Motion Sensor detects objects within a range of 15 centimeters depending on the design of the object. The motion sensor can also be used as a range detector and can detect if an object is close or far away (up to 15 cm).
- Tilt sensor – The Tilt Sensor reports the direction it is tilted. A new functionality in the WeDo 2.0 Tilt sensor is “shake” mode. The Tilt Sensor detects changes within six different positions: Tilt This Way, Tilt That Way, Tilt Up, Tilt Down, No tilt, Any tilt (shake).
- Sticker sheet for labeling sorting tray compartments
The WeDo 2.0 Core Set contains all of the building elements required to build the Get Started Project, along with the base and design library models featured in the WeDo 2.0 Curriculum Pack.
Two students share one core set to boost collaboration skills. An additional kit of LEGO WeDo Resource Set will be an ideal supplement to WeDo 2.0 Core Set.
The WeDo 2.0 Core Set, Software and Get Started Project gives you access to a single project divided in to four parts that teaches the basic functions of the WeDo 2.0 platform.
The project offers approximately 2 hours of classroom content and includes building instructions for Milo the science rover, how to add on a motion sensor and tilt sensor, and how to connect Milo to another rover.
It is recommended that you complete the four parts of the project in a single sequence. The Get Started Project has not been correlated to Next Generation Science Standards*.
- Software and apps
The WeDo 2.0 software provides an excellent platform for science learning, offering an innovative way for students to model reality, conduct investigations, and use design skills.
Programming is an important part of 21st century learning. The WeDo 2.0 software teaches programming in an intuitive way – letting students bring their creations to life while sharpening computational thinking skills like logical reasoning, pattern recognition, and modeling simulations. The software also features a colorful drag and drop interface that is easy for students to use and understand.
The WeDo 2.0 software lets you:
- Access the Get Started Project
- Program your models
- Access the digital building instructions and receive programming guidance
- Use the integrated Documentation tool
KEY LEARNING VALUES
WeDo 2.0 strengthens students’ understanding of the eight science and engineering practices, including asking questions and solving problems, modeling, prototyping, investigating, analyzing and interpreting data, computational thinking, creating evidence based arguments, and obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information.
Develop your students’ competencies through hands-on projects covering key science topics such as physical-, life-, earth- and space sciences, engineering and technology. Improve problem solving, critical thinking, communication, collaboration and integrate the use of relevant digital tools to improve computational thinking skills.